Laser engrave decorative items with individual cutting lines
Our step by step guide for engraving a decorative item from TroLase shows how to draw a custom cutting line by using anchor points. It also includes important tips and tricks when using laser materials and laser machines. Create a laser engraved and laser cut butterfly, perfectly suited as an interior or exterior decoration.
Instructions on how to laser engrave a decorative item
We created this laser engraved and laser cut butterfly from the laser material TroLase. Find more information about TroLase here.
Import any or download our sample graphic and import the graphic into a new Corel Draw file. Draw a rectangle around this graphic (Hairline; Red R:255; G:0; B:0). Convert the rectangle to curves.
Use the 'Shape tool' to convert the lines in individual curves. Adjust the individual parts to fit the graphic by using anchor points. An anchor point can be set by a double click on the required position and can also be removed in the same manner. Add a circle not larger than 5 mm on top of the butterfly to hang it up later (Hairline, R:255, G:0, B:0).
Enter the dimensions of the graphic, +1 mm in height and width, choose the relevant material and define the process options (process mode standard, 500 dpi, enhanced geometries). Send your graphic to JobControl® by hitting the 'JC' button and choose 'Print'.
Set the engraving start positon to begin at the bottom (find this in the menu 'Plate - Plate setup'). Remove the protection foil from the engraving material and activate the vacuum. Focus the laser beam - and off you go!
- Consider the cutting sequence: The cutting lines are considered bottom up in the production process. Therefore, place the outline at the top position in Corel Draw Object Manager.
- For an increased vacuum strength, cover unused parts of the table with paper.
- Select the engraving start position as 'bottom'. This prevents deposits from setting on engraved areas which could discolour the product.
- Use the Z-Offset to obtain a more homogeneous engraving result. Depending upon the design, adjust to max. 3mm in the +.
- If colour residues are present, check the parameters, focus and that the laminate is flat on the table.